On Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending the New York City Football Club’s Soccer Party at PS 49 in the Bronx! We had a blast practicing our kicks, dribbles and even scored some goals!
I had a lot of fun watching the professionals from NYCFC and the other teams (including the Fire Department, Parks Department and the Mayor’s Office of Community Affairs Unit) play against each other. It reminded me that during the summer, whether we are playing games with our friends, riding bikes in the park or at the beach, it’s important that we know how to prepare for the heat.
Here are some ways that you can be sure you’re safe in the heat, so you can keep on having fun this summer!
– Whenever you are in the sun, wear sunscreen and a hat to protect yourself.
– Be sure to drink plenty of water, even if you are not thirsty.
– Wear light-colored and loose clothing that covers as much of your skin as possible.
– Take breaks from playing and go to a cool place so you are not in the sun the entire day.
– Try not to do too much activity during the sun’s peak hours, which are from 11 AM- 4PM.
– Be sure to check on your neighbors and your friends during the heat.
Peace and Penalty Kicks,