Yesterday was the first day of summer, and also the longest day of the year!
As the warm weather approaches, I wanted to remind you all of some simple tips to keep you safe and healthy during the summer heat! Be sure to share these tips with your friends and family.
During a heat wave:
- Stay in a cool place as much as possible and use your air conditioner if you have one.
- If you do not have an air conditioner, consider cooling off at a store, pool, mall, movie theater or cooling center.
- Be sure to never go to a pool by yourself and always make sure you swim when there is a lifeguard or adult present.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary drinks such as soda or juice.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Wear sunscreen when you are outside.
- Be sure to check up on neighbors, family and friends during the warm days.
To learn why the last step is so important, read this story about my friend Miguel who helped his grandparents during a heat wave.
What are some things you like to do to be safe in the summer time?
Peace and sunscreen,